About our hotel

Departing now on a journey back to 1890

Originally opened in the 1860s by Eldridge Pope, a Dorchester Brewer, it served Fordingbridge Railway Station, one of the stops on the newly built Salisbury and Dorset Railway. It had seven rooms to rent and a livery stable.

The line was closed in 1964, and the Railway Hotel became The Load of Hay for a time, then was named after a local artist, Augustus John.

We have now restored the Railway Hotel to its original elegant Victorian form. We have five spacious, luxury en-suite rooms and a self contained two bedroom cottage, set around a characterful courtyard and the original livery stables. Guests and locals can relax and enjoy a meal in our restaurant and Pullman Carriage.

Have a look around

Fordingbridge to Salisbury

Take a trip back in time